On my relentless quest to maintain the thigh gap, my diet generally consists of egg whites, fruit, vegetables, chicken, fish, nuts and seeds.
I had been curious to try banana and egg white pancakes for some time — but I knew what would happen. I would make them, then cover them in syrup. At 28 grams of sugar per serving, even the grade A Vermont maple syrup won’t be worth the guilt I’ll feel. And really, who has one serving of syrup? And is it even legal to have pancakes without butter?
Last week, these pressing questions were answered when I discovered sugar free syrup in the cabinet. It exists?! Later, after reading the ingredients, I decided to make my own sugar free syrup that I could trust wasn’t made of genetically modified poison, which I will share with you at the bottom of this post. But for now – the Smuckers sugar free syrup is delicious!! And tastes just like the real thing!
BANANA & EGG WHITE PANCAKES!
1. blend ingredients in blender or mash and whisk in a bowl.
2. Pour pancake batter onto heated skillet (medium heat, sprayed with cooking spray or coconut oil). I like to make 2×2 inch pancakes because they are easier to flip, but I have tried larger pancakes and with a little talent was able to flip successfully.
3. When entire pancake starts to bubble, flip with spatula.
4. Cook for 1-2 minutes then remove from heat with spatula.
Recipe yields: 4-5 pancakes depending on banana size!
**You can also replace the 4 egg whites with 2-3 whole eggs depending on the egg size and you will get some bonus vitamins and omegas from the egg yolk.
Optional Mix Ins:
-1 tsp Peanut Butter
-Blueberries or Strawberries
-Slices of Banana (after blending)
-Whole Wheat Flour
-Melted Peanut Butter
SUGAR FREE SYRUP RECIPE:
Recipe Credit: Desserts with Benefits
- Whisk together 2 cups of the water, maple flavor and lemon flavor.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the stevia, xanthan gum and salt. Slowly whisk this into the wet ingredients.
- Once all is incorporated, whisk the entire mixture vigorously while pouring in the remaining cup of water.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, pour the mixture into a blender or food processor and puree until completely smooth.