Summer. Oh how I adore you and your long days, warm nights and endless cookouts. And the fresh produce. I will never tire of the picked-that-day goodness. Truthfully, a handful (full basket) of blueberries or a slice (entire) watermelon is usually dessert enough for me in the summer time… but it’s no secret that I’ve got quite the sweet tooth. And when I was delegated with the task of bringing dessert to a friend’s bbq with only an hour notice (and 2 margaritas in), I knew I had to come up with something quick & easy that would feed a dozen.
And thus, the Fruit Tart was born.
-1 & 1/3 Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry sheet from the freezer section (Or better yet your favorite gluten free version!)
-2 oz Organic Valley Cream Cheese
-2 oz thick Greek Yogurt in plain, honey or vanilla
-2 tsp sugar, divided
-1 tbsp lemon curd or lemon zest
-1 tsp pure vanilla extract (if using unflavored yogurt)
-1 tsp honey, divided
-Fresh fruit, sliced. I used blueberries, strawberries and peaches
Optional Add Ins: walnuts, chia seeds, dark chocolate chips (baked into dough), jam, flavored yogurt, nutella
- Heat oven to 350. Roll out puff pastry (if using freezer ones use 4 panels… paste them back together by using a bit of water on the seams) on a lightly powdered surface. Take a knife and draw a border 1 inch in from all sides, careful not to cut through the dough. Transfer to parchment paper and place on a cooking sheet. Evenly sprinkle with 1 tsp sugar and drizzle with 1/2 tsp honey. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and using a spatula press down the inside portion of the pastry puff, leaving the one inch border raised. Let cool for 10+ minutes.
- In a separate bowl, use a hand mixer to whip together all of the remaining ingredients besides the fruit.
- Spread evenly with the back of a spoon into the puff pastry ‘pool’ you’ve created
- Arrange fruit on top. Drizzle with remaining honey.