I was scouring the internet for a perfect Easter dessert. I wanted something that would be great with coffee or a mimosa over a long brunch. Something sweet, but not heavy… something that screamed “spring has sprung!” and something with a “wow” factor… but of course ;). I came across a recipe for lemon coconut pound cake that looked pretty perfect on the website for Southern Living Magazine (recipe here
), but in typical me fashion — -I had to make it my own. Their recipe, I’m sure, is lovely as it is… but mine true was coco-lemony-heaven-goodness. I will say that their coconut shavings delivered the ‘wow’ factor I was looking for.. next Easter they are a must!
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut, divided
2 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1. add another 1/4 cup sour cream to keep the cake moist
2. reduce cook time to one hour
3. add 2 tsp of fresh lemon juice
4. cut the inside of 1/2 lemon into small pieces and mix with cake mixture
5. Add 1/4 cup coconut to mixture
6. Add a tsp of vanilla extract
For the glaze: play with the ratio. I did a generous squeeze of lemon juice and 1 cup confectionary sugar with only a little splash of milk, then covered the glaze in coconut before it hardened.
1. Preheat oven to 325°. Beat butter at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
2. Stir together flour, salt, and baking soda. Add to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in lemon zest and 1/2 cup coconut. Pour batter into a greased and floured 9- x 5-inch loaf pan.
3. Bake at 325° for 1 hour and 5 minutes to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 to 15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack, and cool completely (about 1 hour).
4.GLAZE: Whisk together powdered sugar, 2 Tbsp. milk, and fresh lemon juice, adding an additional 1 Tbsp. milk, 1 tsp. at a time, for desired consistency. Spoon Lemon Glaze over cake, and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup coconut.