Are you searching for the healthiest, most decadent, gooey banana bread free from dairy, gluten and added sugars? I wasn’t. My husband just panicked during pandemic grocery shopping and brought home 12 bananas… and pretty much nothing else. As the bushel inevitably browned before my eyes, I knew I’d just have to make one of my most replicated recipe: The Healthy Banana Bread.
But to my dismay, the recipe I had made all those years ago for Travelingfig contained eggs! Since I have gone to the green side, I decided to tweak the classic and upgrade its nutritional value in the process.
Instead of eggs, this banana bread uses a chia seed replacer. 2 tbsp of chia seeds stirred into 6 tbsp of water and left to blend for 15+ minutes is equivalent to two eggs – except you’re getting all the health benefits of chia and none of the negatives of livestock farming. Chia seeds are rich in fiber, iron, antioxidants, calcium and omega 3 fatty acids. I also replaced some of the flour with vegan protein powder to help make the bread more macro balanced. At 216 cal per slice, you’re getting 8.6g protein, 7.8g of healthy fats, and 5.5g of fiber. The bread is also an excellent source of calcium! (Scroll to bottom for full nutritional breakdown).
A note on how to make this a ‘no sugar added’ recipe, just omit the maple syrup. I usually include it because the flavor of a pure grade A maple syrup makes the bread more complex and rich in flavor, but it’s still delicious without it. If you’re still looking for an extra punch of sweet you could add some stevia or monkfruit.
Superfood PB Banana Bread (Vegan + Gluten Free, Protein-Rich)
- loaf pan
- 4 Ripe Bananas
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 2 tbsp Chia Seeds mixed with 6 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp Peanut Butter
- 1 tsp Grade A Maple Syrup optional
- 1/2 cup GF all purpose Flour
- 1 serving Vegan Protein Powder ex. 44g of Garden of Life Sport
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Cacao Nibs
- 1 tbsp Walnut Pieces
- Mix chia seeds with 6 tbsp of water in a small bowl. Stir and let sit for 15+ minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease bread tin with coconut oil.
- With a standing or hand mixer, beat bananas in a large bowl on med/high.
- Gently add coconut oil, chia seed mixture, vanilla extract and peanut butter. Add maple syrup if using.
- Reduce speed to low and gently add flour, protein powder, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon. Continue to beat on low until well mixed.
- Pour mixture evenly into greased bread pan.
- Evenly sprinkle cacao nibs and walnuts on top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, remove from oven and let cool in pan.
I am part of the Amazon affiliate program. If you shop any amazon link on my page, I make a small commission that helps me keep this blog up and running glitch-free (well, most of the time!). Whether or not you visit of the links, I sincerely appreciate you for stopping by. This blog is much more than a decade long hobby for me, it’s a community, and I’m so happy to have you in it!