There’s nothing better than returning home to Halifax, MA in August – when the garden is over plentiful and everyone has exasperated their imagination with how to eat the baskets and baskets of fresh vegetables. This recipe I am especially proud of – a healthy and flavorful twist on an old favorite – stuffed shells.
Eggplant and Zucchini Rollatinis
1 container reduced fat ricotta cheese
2 garlic cloves
1 jar of your favorite tomato sauce
fresh basil leaves and parmesan to garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat olive oil in a stovetop skillet on medium heat.
2. Cut (either with a food processor setting, peeler or sharp knife) zucchini and eggplant into thin lengthwise strips. Brush both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with pepper and salt. Lay flat on greased cookie sheet. Cook for 20 minutes, flipping once.
3. Add chopped onion and chopped garlic to skillet, stir occasionally and cook until browned. Remove heat and immediately add ricotta cheese and mix with onions and garlic.
4. Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees. Grease a rectangle oven dish with olive oil and line the bottom with 1/2 jar of tomato sauce.
5. Lay the eggplant and zucchini trips next to eachother (overlapping slightly). Scoop 2 teaspoons of the ricotta mixture onto the strips and roll loosely. Carefully place the rollatini in the baking dish. Repeat until all of the mixture and strips are used.
6. Top rollatinis with remaining sauce, and sprinkly with parmesan. Bake for 20 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and top with a fresh basil leaf.
Show us some star love:
Your vote is so very appreciated, thank you!