Summer Zucchini Noodles w/Avocado Sauce!
If someone were to ask me what I typically eat, zucchini noodles would be at the tip top of the list. They’re easy and versatile, light yet satisfying, and quick to whip up. But recently I’ve been so overcome with culinary creativity from my weekly Imperfect Produce delivery that my veggie spiralizer was starting to collect dust.
But tonight when I got home from teaching yoga, I was just hungry. Starving even! I didn’t have time to run out to the store to buy anything else, no nuts for a fancy vegan pesto sauce, no rice and kimchi for a veggie bibimbap… so I just used what I had in this weeks Imperfect box. I dug in and pulled out a handful of veggies and whipped up what might be my favorite zucchini noodle recipe ever. Really, it is absolutely DELICIOUS.
This dish is light and summery, tangy and savory and pairs perfectly with a crisp pinot grigio.
What you’ll need:
- 2 zucchinis, spiralized
- 1/2 onion or shallot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 bushel of cilantro (or basil if you’re not a cilantro fan!)
- 1/2 lemon or lime
- 1 large avocado
- pepper & salt to taste
- optional (I usually add all of these if I have them handy:) : 2 tbsp pine nuts, 1 tsp nutritional yeast, 1/4 cup osundried tomatoes
Oh and here’s the inexpensive but effective spiralizer I use. If you don’t have one of these puppies handy, you could make zucchini ribbons with a peeler.
- Heat skillet over medium with 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Add onions and garlic, stirring occasionally for 3-5 minutes.
- Add zucchini noodles, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes. If using sundried tomatoes and pine nuts, add within the last 5 minutes. (Photo: Don’t mind the ONE piece of tofu I had left over that I threw in, haha)
- In a separate bowl, combine avocado, cilantro, squeezed lemon juice, 1 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper and mash. If using nutritional yeast, add here.
- Transfer contents of skillet to the bowl and combine with fork.
- Serve immediately! I served this baby with roasted artichokes (also from my Imperfect Produce box!)
Want to learn more about Imperfect Produce? Read my full review here!
…Or don’t and just go sign up for your delivery box at www.imperfectproduce.com – code TRAVELINGFIG20 gets you 20% off!